First Floor, Suite 2, 30B Crown St, Brentwood, Essex, CM14 4BA 01277 563698 Mon - Fri (Excl Wed) 9:00 - 17:00

Registering for Self Employment and Self Assessment

If you have started to receive income in a self employed capacity, you are required to inform HMRC within three months and register for Self Assessment.

There are a number of ways to register for Self Assessment, you can call HMRC directly on 0300 200 3310 or your Accountant can do it for you, but the quickest and easiest method is to Register Online.

Follow the steps on the link to register, once done, you will receive a 10 digit UTR (Unique Taxpayer Reference also known as Tax Reference Number) in the post within 10 working days.

Once you receive your UTR number you will have until January 31st to file your Self Assessment online, or 31st October to file by paper.

If you decide to file online, you can use approved software, or your online Personal Tax Account.

In order register for an online personal tax account, you will be required to either register for a Government Gateway ID, or sign in with your Gov.UK Verify details if you have had to previously identify yourself with organisations such as Barclays, Digidentity, Experian, Post Office or SecureIdentity.

Once online registration is complete, you will be given a Government Gateway User ID, you will need to keep this User ID safe, as this will be used to file all future Self Assessments, if you do lose this for whatever reason, you can apply to re-register or click the links for lost details, and new ones will be supplied.

There are some situations where you may need to register for Self Assessment but not because you are Self Employed. for example, you may have Rental Income to declare, you may be in receipt of Dividends, disposed of a property and need to report a Capital Gain, or you may be a higher rate tax payer with a reduced personal allowance.

In these circumstances, you must use an SA1 form, and complete the details that way. Make sure you only fill out the information that is mandatory, and is relevant to your circumstances. In other words, do not supply details for Capital Gains, if you only wish to register to declared dividends.

If you need help or you are unsure which way to register for Self Assessment please do not hesitate to contact us today, we will be more than happy to explain the process, or register for you on your behalf.

(0 Votes)

Courtier and Courtier